Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Texas Western Day at the White House

This is going to be a quiet day, I just KNOW it. It's a day of local pride for many El Pasoans. It was their Texas Western all-black starting team who defeated Kentucky's all white basketball team for the NCAA Championship forty years ago this spring. And president Bush has decided to honor them by inviting the members of that team to the White House this evening to watch the movie, "Glory Road", commemorating their achievment.

Sadly, their Hall of Fame coach, Don Haskins, will not be in attendence. He has been hospitalized with a case of pneumonia. I was going to say something snarky here like "Why does this always seem to happen to Bush's best photo-op laid plans?" but I won't. (Oooh, did I just pull one of those slick politician's tricks outta my basketball shorts?)

No comments: