Friday, July 20, 2007

Back to the forest....


Wednesday my quaking aspen birthday seeds arrived in the mail. I honestly don't know whether to be astonished or feel suckered. That's because when I opened the envelope, and the second and third successively smaller and smaller envelopes inside, I finally arrived at the most amazing thing - what is supposed to be 100 aspen seeds. I say supposedly because these things are microscopic in size.

So yesterday with the help of Mrs. Dada I diligently followed the directions provided, hoping someone, somewhere in Eugene, Oregon who had sent these seeds wasnn't laughing their ass off at my gullibility.

First, it says to keep the microbial aspens refridgerated. Done. Next, soak in water for six hours before planting. Done. In the meantime, I prepared the pots. I would start with a small grove of aspens (10). Experience dictates I will lose a percentage of these. But first, I had to find them!

Finally, there came the hardest part - planting. Reading glasses helped us locate the seeds. A magnifying glass was better. A microscope would have been best. Mrs. Dada devised a way to section three small pots into 4 quadrants each.

Now, incubating in the computer room window under a little morning sun, there's nothing to do but wait and see. Seven to fourteen days I am told. Is that how long it takes for a joke to wear off?

6 comments:

eProf2 said...

What are the chances of them surviving in the El Paso/New Mexico area?

Dada said...

Just beyond that excellent question lies the answer I am seeking. Certainly, at an elevation of 3500 ft., I could stand to gain a couple thousand to better my chances.

There are some birch/aspen existing around town but, who knows, they were probably shipped in from the upper reaches of N.M. or Colorado--not raised locally from seeds?

Time shall tell.

eProf2 said...

Good luck with your experiment. I'm looking for some desert friendly trees to line my street front other than palms, mesquite or palo verdes, which I already have about two dozen scattered around God's little half acre. I look forward to a report sometime soon (he says smiling).

Peacechick Mary said...

I call Quivering Aspens, the Giggle trees. That's the way they look when the wind rustles them.

Psychomikeo said...

Let me know when the "buds" are ready... I'll bring the bong!

enigma4ever said...

as long as they quiver and grow under your care...and then one day your lucky dog can pee on them....