Thursday, July 27, 2006

On a dark desert highway

Been having a great time in the Pacific Northwest. Temperatures have abated to more normal levels. In the meantime, have been staying busy enjoying family and being out-of-touch with the news for a few days.

But I thought I might mention a passenger on our journeys so far. We first encountered her in the middle of the Arizona desert. And that's where we picked her up. Not as a hitchhiker on the roadside, but as a talkshow host on the radio.

Her name is Stephanie Miller and she made us laugh. It wasn't until her signal faded and we had to abandon her where we'd found her--on a dark desert highway--that I realized I'd been listening to "the news" and chuckling for the past hour or so. Since then, we again encountered Stephanie Miller in central California, lost her, only to find her waiting for us upon our arrival in Portland, which is where we'll probably leave her tomorrow as we head for the beach!

4 comments:

azgoddess said...

hugs again - thanks for the tip - and you can listen to her show on the computer..way cool...

oh - fyi - the middle of the desert you were passing thru that you heard her...well that was my back yard!!

Dada said...

Hi AZ -- Wow...so near, yet so far! I've been catching audio glimpses of Stephanie Miller while here. (She was just playing SecDef Rummy's response to his extending the "tour" of thousands of troops by 120 days in Iraq. At least he was empathetic saying something like, "expecting to come home but not, of course I can see where that would be demoralizing...."

Well, I'm reluctant to mention it, but the trip--which has been going well--is giving me omens and I'm not heeding 'em. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to blog about it later from the beach.

I'm beginning to think I'm being given MORE than ample hints of what's ahead, but so far have managed to ignore 'em. Let's hope I'm wrong but if one ignores the tealeaves, one could end up in the drink. (Sorry to be so vague, but am in the middle of packing for the beach...more later)

Anonymous said...

hey, I'll have to see if I can pull in the AM radio broadcasts from Boston...looking at the Web Site in your link, I see that "She is a comedienne and daughter of former Republican U.S. Representative William Miller, Barry Goldwater's running mate in the 1964 Presidential election."...go figure, kids will always rebel against their parent's views, I guess!

enigma4ever said...

so glad that my old stomping grounds have cooled your souls and been good to you on your travels...sigh..