Saturday, July 22, 2006

Lost snowcaps

Mt. Shasta posing with a Marquez Brothers "El Mexicano"
food truck. Where have all the snowcaps gone?


Yesterday's jaunt from Madera to Weed, CA went well, save for getting lost for a few miles in Sacramento. (I know, how does one get lost on the interstate? -- I can, I did.) So I woke my navigator up so she could hear my cursing while heading east towards....Reno! But a few minutes with the map and she had me back on track.

Watching the outside temperature gauge in the car, it was precisely at that time I recorded the highest temp of the day. It was 101 at noon in Sacramento. From there the temps slid down to a comfortable 79 by the time we arrived here in Weed.

Seems everywhere we go, the main topic of conversation is the unusually hot weather. I'm careful not to attribute it to global warming. I like to know a person a bit better before challenging their beliefs if rooted in faith rather than science. Besides, there are strangers among us packing heat. Another reason to take it slow with people you don't know.

Maybe bring up the NRA first and, if lucky, they'll show you the piece they're packing. Then you KNOW for sure not to attribute the baldness of Mt. Shasta to the 'global warming' thing. It's the old 'discretion--valor' thing. Best just wish 'em a good day and say under your breath as you're walking away, "Goddamned ignorant son of a bitch."

2 comments:

enigma4ever said...

wow..what great pictures..Shasta looks naked without snow...and yup...I can't help but envy you...I would love to send Postcards from Weed...Thanks for taking us along on the trip...( I guess DK and I are sitting in the back-making rude comments, sharing drinks and yelling to turn the Radio up...)

Anonymous said...

did we remember to bring Pink Floyd "Dark Side of the Moon" CD? We did? Yeaay, crank it up so we can all sing about The Lunatic! D.K.