Tuesday, May 16, 2006

It's easier to be right with your head in a sack and no one in sight to let in the light.

I have often wondered how first lady, Laura Bush, views her husband's presidency. How his continually sinking approval ratings in poll after poll must affect her.

From comments by Bush himself, we know he's unmoved by America's increasing disapproval. In some sense of "strong leadership," Bush has told us how little the opinion of Americans means to him. In other words, he doesn't give a flying fig what Americans think. He knows what's best for us, even if you and I don't.

Well, over the weekend Laura Bush appeared briefly in the neocon's favorite media "comfort zone," Fox News. It was there she answered the question that had been burning a hole in my curiosity for months and months now.

As for Bush being "the last man to get it," we learned from Pickles she shares her husband's attitudes. She's "the last woman to get it!" This was reassuring to me. The president and Mrs. Bush are on the same page. Their marriage appears solid. Whether it's megalomania, delusion, or insouciance doesn't matter. They're 100% compatible.

"I don't really believe those polls. I travel around the country. I see people, I see their responses to my husband. I see their response to me." Pickles said. Contining, "As I travel around the United States, I see a lot of appreciation for him. A lot of people come up to me and say, 'Stay the course'."

This is strong, positive feedback from a public that is carefully screened for every appearance by our president and his wife before a select crowd. There exists no more glowing examples of the vetting of oddiences the administration appears before than the few activists, to include former career CIA analyst Ray McGovern, who recently infiltrated the admission process to bravely stand up to Don Rumsfeld before a boisterous pre-screened oddience of Bush fascists.

So my hope for Laura as a kind of last resort for some sort of Bush alter-ego, some counterbalance to a man whose balance has fallen completely off the scales of reason is dead. But as unsettling as that is, I guess there's consolation to be had knowing the Bush marriage bond is strong. Good family values. And being as how it's an election year, I'm sure we'll being hearing more of that as an election issue in the months ahead. (Or, maybe not, it's almost impossible to find a sanctimonious politician still in power with values uncorrupted.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, the sooner W & Pickles permanently retire to the ranch, the happier I'll be. I don't begrudge them spending more time together & less time making the rest of our lives miserable, just puhleez do it soon. Lately, I've decided my own personal life goal is to outlive GWB ... although with his resting pulse rate of 50, the man is just in too excellent condition (good inspiration for my exercise regimen)! Nothing bothers him & apparently not Laura either. Let their carefully screened staff & rah-rah "oddience" deal with anything that might interrupt their blissful reverie. Calvin Trillen wrote an excellent prose piece on our prez perfectly titled "Obliviously on He Sails" ---D.K.