Friday, July 21, 2006

"I've been to the mountain..."

...as MLK, Jr. said. "And today I'm going back!" Dada retorts. It's a nice day for a drive up to Mt. Shasta. That's where we have reservations to stay the night. (In Weed, actually.) Looking forward to the change of scenery (and pace).

As an aside, last evening coming into Madera, we exited the freeway a mile or so too early. (That's because I'd forgotten to write directions to our inn.) But in our brief groping for familiarity and finding none, we stumbled into a neighborhood that was incredibly posh, manicured, deserted and beautiful as anything I'd ever seen. It seemed totally out of context and it wasn't even gated!

If it was up ahead of us, I'd return but it's behind us and there's going back. But if there was, I would and I'd look for flaws. For a mistake. There has to be something I missed in that perfect neighborhood with broad carless streets with grassy medians 'neath huge sheltering oak trees fronting sprawling estates. And it's just off the main drag like some Hollywood set. There just has to be flaws.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, Weed ... CHP Alert! There is a huge cherry patch area either right before or right aftr Weed. It's been yrs, but I still remember being plucked & skinned as we drove north. The section of highway is almost straight downhill (from Shasta?), the speed limit is excessively cautious (it would only be appropriate if it was raining or snowing). Unless you're in a stick-shift, you would have to ride your brakes the entire way down. About half-way down, there is a well-known speed trap hidey hole for the CHP to nab you. Word !

Love your road trip pics & esp that bus. Does anybody see these things anywhere but CA & OR, I wonder? Oh, Ken Kesey would be proud. D.K.