Sunday, March 19, 2006

"Touché!"

In my e-mail this morning from someone in Taos:

At a hearing on the proposed Constitutional Amendment to prohibit gay marriage, Jamie Raskin, professor of law at American University, was requested to testify.

As he ended his testimony, Maryland Republican (state) Senator Nancy Jacobs asked: "Mr. Raskin, my Bible says marriage is only between a man and a woman. What do you have to say about that?"

Raskin replied: "Senator, when you took your oath of office, you placed your hand on the Bible and swore to uphold the Constitution. You did not place your hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible."

The room erupted into applause.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bravo!!! I echo the applause in that room!!! Another thought I've had is we KNOW who wrote our constitution, we can understand their motives & goals, it's written in our own language by people not that far removed from us today. But who wrote the bible, who translated it & with what motives in mind? I grew up loving biblical stories, still do. Stories, folktales, parables, myths & legends hold great facination. I can grasp their wisdom without swallowing a diety who orders my every move in life, or is that one thought too many for the unquestioning? D.K.